Re: [CQ-Contest] Time to QSY?

To: "'cq-contest@contesting.com'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Time to QSY?
From: Richard Riley <Richard.Riley@tango.hr>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 16:11:52 +0000
Before you do QSY :)..it's Friday afternoon and I've found 5 minutes to spam
you with my 2 cents:

Why not allow interleaved CQs on the same band, but impose stricter rules for
signal cleanliness?
Dirty signals (quite typical in this part of the world) take up far more room
than 2 clean ones.  I had to rethink my new station location because of that
very problem.  My potential future neighbours were occupying half of 160m :( at
10km.

and to respond to a previous thread: self-spotting in phone contests / SSB RBN.

I am lacking somewhat techy-wise here....but surely we can use some of our
current SSB bandwidth to throw in a "CQ callsign" in sub-tone/JT65 or alike, to
be sent by our voice-keyers?  ..after all it's a "Phone" contest...and "the
phone channel" is 300-3400hz or thereabouts... but do we really need all of
this for an intelligible voice communication?  Many of us listen with 1.8Khz
filters on.

We moved from AM to SSB previously, saving a whole side-band..so perhaps it's
time to progress once more.  Our repeaters exploit "mixed modes" in transmit
(FM carrier & CW audible tone for ID) and of course many use sub-tones in
receive (67-250hz) to be opened.  Is there enough bandwidth in a SSB signal to
carry CW audio sent too and to be recognised by the RBNs?  The RBN people can
programme their boxes to only spot these if the frequency is same for x calls
over y minutes and our self-spotting problem is solved, no?  For the purists,
if CW-audio sent IDs sitting inside an SSB signal are a problem, we just need a
SIRI-style sub-tone voice generator software plug-in and it's 100% phone...

and one more thread whilst we're here in the QRM...  I believe log submission
should be real-time or as close to it.  If we can do JT65 or WSPR (or whatever)
we can have designated receivers picking up scores from anywhere.  WRTC 2014
did it by 3/4G but where no signal present used one SMS/hourly.  How much
investment is a WSPR 5 watt box on 30m to send your score each hour for those
who don't have the net?

73 9a1tt

Richard Riley