Re: [CQ-Contest] Time to QSY?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Time to QSY?
From: Steve Bookout <steve@nr4m.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 22:37:48 -0400
Hello all,

Steve, NR4M, here.

I guess I fit the profile of a 'big gun', with 70 acres or cleared pasture land and several towers. Because of my neighbors 200+ goats, this place is known as 'The Goat Farm'.

On 80 meters, for transmit, I use a full size 4 square with 6 inch dia verticals made of re-purposed gov't HF conical mono poles. About 80 radials for each vertical and it has always worked really well. Pretty quiet on RCV also. \

Also have a 4 element delta loop array fixed on EU, strung between two 190 foot towers, which are aligned on a NW/SE azmuth. It is not switchable to the SW. This is my 'killer' antenna for EU. Under certain conditions, it is significantly stronger than the 4 sq. It is never weaker into EU. 22 degree take off angle. Done with EZNEC.

For east coast domestic stuff, I use an inverted VEE at 72 feet.

Phased Beverages to EU and single antennas for other directions.

Currently, working on an eight circle end-fire, broad side array for RCV abt 200 feet in dia.

On 160, the Goat Farm uses a pair of 'tee top loaded' phased verticals hung from a cantenary between two of the other towers. Over a GP of many small dia wires. This was thrown up for one weekend as a temp antenna 'just to get into the contest', but worked so well, that we've kept it. Switchable in NE/SW/broadside.

Same Beverages with band specific RF 'peeled off' with W3LPL band pass filters off the common RF feed.

Good enough to work 70 DXCC countries in the recent ARRL DX CW contest.

Working on an eight circle end-fire, broad side RCV array to be concentrically located with the 80 meter version. About 400 feet in dia.

This is what it takes to make NR4M loud and competitive.

I know I've worked 99% of you in *some* contest.

73 de Steve, NR4M