Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW LCR's and log scrubbing

To: Martin Durham <W1md@W1md.net>, "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW LCR's and log scrubbing
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2017 20:32:36 -0600

I believe that this X-QSO stuff needs to be included in the official rules not a FAQ.

Lets talk about all the questions in the FAQ

Q: May we transmit on a new band before the 10 minute period, as long as we do not make a QSO on the new band before 10 minutes?

No. You may not transmit on the new band until after you are allowed to QSY to the new band. You must always follow the 10 minute rules.

So what is it. Yes or no.

Q: What should we do if our RUN SIGNAL moves to a new band and starts to invite contacts (call CQ, QRZ, TEST, “my call,” etc.) before the 10 minutes are up?

Any transmission before the 10 minutes are up is against the rules. If you have not yet made a contact on the new band, stop immediately and wait for the 10 minute period. If you have made some QSOs, those contacts are in violation of the ten minute rule and they will be removed without penalty. Calling CQ “early” (before the ten minute period) and intentionally not logging any callers (in order to take/hold a frequency) is a violation of the rules and may result in being disqualified.

Once again. It clearly says don't do it. Later in the rules there is essentially no penalty for breaking the rules which makes less sense.

The last part of this answer is interesting. If you continued to operate on the same frequency that you failed the 10 minute rule on, did said station continue operating on said frequency? If so, would this not be a violation. Now we have to determine if the intent was to take/hold a frequency.

This question makes things much more clear.

       Q: Is there a limit on the number of times we can use X-QSO in
       our log?

X-QSO is intended for correction of occasional mistakes that happen during the contest. If the committee decides that X-QSO is being used to avoid the 10 minute rule the log will be subject to possible reclassification or other committee action, as deemed appropriate.

You specifically stated that you used the X-QSO every year to avoid correct operating mistakes regarding the 10 minute rule.

"Virtually every PJ4X log I have submitted over the years for WWSSB has had at least one band-change violation (M/2)...in one year we had 160Q's docked because of an issue with the logging software itself. We worked with the contest adjudicators and still lost Q's, but not to that level."

Aren't we asking/attempting to get people to stop massaging their logs after the contest? If so, why are we encouraging people to pour over their logs and "fix" things with X-QSO. Is this not contrary to the direction we are trying to go?

I will admit that I find it confusing that CQ goes into great detail about following the 10 minute rule and then basically says.....well gosh if you blow it we will take out all your "mistakes" with no penalty???!!!!! What!!!! We get penalized more busting a callsign than breaking a rule?

I don't like log manipulation as described and I equally dislike CQ essentially saying go ahead and break the 10 minute rule with no penalty.

W0MU