Re: [CQ-Contest] "It's just to save on typing"

To: CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>, Michael Clarson <wv2zow@gmail.com>, Radio KØHB <kzerohb@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] "It's just to save on typing"
From: Ria Jairam <rjairam@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2017 13:19:57 +0000
That is an excellent synopsis of why we should copy what is sent. Spot on.

Here is another scenario that plays out in DX contests especially that is
pertinent.

In a recent contest I was running on 40 meters. Then all of a sudden I
noticed a flood of dupes. I try to tell
them that we worked before but I did log a few dupes, only because I always
log dupes and it’s the right thing to do (unless contest rules say having
dupes will result in penalties). Plus it’s easier to just log dupes rather
than kill your rate. After about a dozen or so I got curious and looked at
the cluster (the contest rules allow it for all categories.)

Turns out I was spotted as NR2J.

People were blindly clicking cluster spots and trying to work me. It’s not
like I have a weak signal either. I identify after every QSO because I hate
the practice of working a lot of stations with just “QRZ?”

I feel that using external sources fosters this kind of behavior. This is
why I run unassisted. This is why I feel that we have an over reliance on
external sources and we trust those more than what we hear on air. In the
end this is a RADIO contest and we need to rely more on the RADIO instead
of external sources.

Hans has his own motivation for changing his exchange and you may argue
whether it’s against the rules or not on his part - but in the end if you
don’t copy what he sends and submits in his log, it’s likely that you will
lose that QSO. The end.

So what is the best course of action here? Criticizing him for changing his
exchange? Or listening to what he actually sends? Which is easier? I know
what I will do.

“Accuracy transcends speed” - is the motto of FISTS CW club. That is
especially important in this contest.

73
Ria, N2RJ