Re: [CQ-Contest] So Sunday Sucked?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] So Sunday Sucked?
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 21:08:40 -0700
I have no clue who wrote that story about FT8 but it filled with fake news as they say.

FT8 has also killed Topband and now Contesting! Amazing!   Pig Farmer hams are celebrating across the globe and wondering why they didn't think of it sooner.

Since the 14th of October when I got on FT8  I have worked nearly 1200 contacts.  I have 74 DX entities worked and 51 confirmed. The DX does not just roll in.  There are some fairly rare DX on FT8.  I have called lots of DX and never got a contact.  IS0 being one I call everyday and zip.    I worked WAS in about 2 wks and confirmed on LOTW.

Working DX is a bit more challenging than face rolling your keyboard.   We will see how it goes if and when VK9MA gets on FT8.  They were on RTTY today so maybe!  It is similar to RTTY where you Xmit and hope they come back to you.  There is no moving needed with FT8.  Pick what you hope is a clear freq and call away and hope.  There is nothing you can do to get your self in the log other than wait.

You can only work so many people so fast.  I am not sure we will ever see FT8 in contests, although there is a VHF contest mode. Once again the VK9MA guys have a special version of the program so it will be interesting to see what they send etc.

Will it be a fad?  Maybe but it is better than psk and other modes.  There are tons of people using it.  20m today was packed. I generally try to push the MUF hoping for rare dx or interesting openings.

Did FT8 take people away from SS?  Probably some.  I worked some FT8 over the weekend and had zero desire to get in SS which is worth reflecting on.  Maybe contesting has peaked and is on the way down for now?  Similar to the NFL where it is being discussed that there is probably too much football on TV which waters down the product.

Do we have too many contests?  Are people burned out?  Inquiring minds want to know.

I would be no more interested in an FT8 SS as the CW or SSB version right now.  Maybe I am burned out.

I wonder what FT8 will slay next?  Poverty?  It could happen!

W0MU