Re: [CQ-Contest] Robotic contest operating, why knot?

To: Jamie WW3S <ww3s@zoominternet.net>, cq-contest@contesting.com, Hank Greeb <n8xx@arrl.org>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Robotic contest operating, why knot?
From: N4ZR <n4zr@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2018 21:30:37 -0500
S56A claimed to have operated a robot contester more than 20 years ago.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network
at <http://reversebeacon.net>, now
spotting RTTY activity worldwide.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.

On 12/17/2018 5:16 PM, Jamie WW3S wrote:
I think there already was a "robot" entry for a cw test several years ago....

-----Original Message----- From: Hank Greeb
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2018 9:20 AM
To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Robotic contest operating, why knot?

Jim:

Thanks for the compliment to my mental capacity.  It's is great to have
it acknowledged publicly.

I've only seen FT8 working with an operator clicking and calling
stations, or having others call his station after he calls CQ.

But, he, and several othres around SW Michigan say that the new version
of FT8 has already been set up as a robot, and can operate with the
control operator in another part of the shack doing other things.

Again, I've not used either the original version nor the new version of
FT8, so my info is 2nd hand.

However, the day is approaching when all functions of a RTTY, CW, PSK31,
FT8, etc. stations can and will be able to be controlled by robots.  At
that point we'll have a "Zero Operator", or as another operator prefers
"Sysop Control" category in contests.  Whether the people who set up the
contest will recognize such an entry, or relegate it to the bit bucket
or check log category is yet to be determined.

/s/ The Idiot LID (as several others have said, and of which I freely admit)
72/73 de n8xx Hg
QRP >99.44% of the time