Re: [CQ-Contest] Robotic contest operating, why knot?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Robotic contest operating, why knot?
From: Paul O'Kane <pokane@ei5di.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 15:49:40 +0000

On 18/12/2018 04:59, Jim Brown wrote:

<snip>

Yes, very cool. W6OAT and I are among ops who chase CQ Fields, and the ones that are all water are a challenge. Both of us worked this station for a new field!

Oh - I'm impressed!  You worked someone who wasn't there.

Reminds me of a rhyme attributed to Hughes Mearns

  When I was going up the stairs
  I met a man who wasn't there.
  He wasn't there again today,
  I wish to h-ll he'd go away.

And for those who won't bother to go read about it, WSJT-X standing alone can only be set to will only answer one station responding to its own CQ and complete one QSO. The automation to reset that process was provided by programming of the computer running WSJT-X.

So now we're being selective about technology - isn't all technology good?
Only a purist, or a luddite, would object to automated WSJT-X QSOs.  Press
a single button, wait a few hours, and come back to see what "you've" worked.
This technology can not be un-invented, and it's not about to go away any
time soon.

Progress is inexorable - but progress in what?  :-)

73,
Paul EI5DI