Re: [CQ-Contest] Emails During a Contest

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Emails During a Contest
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2019 07:00:34 -0300
Hey Jeff,

Yes, it's cheating. I will never reply during a contest,  HOWEVER, I usually
don't instantly delete the email later when I read it.

After I look at the callsign. I say to myself, "do I recognize this call?"
"does the call appear on 3830 anywhere?"  Does it appear in any call history
or SCP lists?

If no, then I will usually formulate a reasonable response to the station
explaining why I can't give them the number/exchange via email.

If the callsign fails the litmus test (per above), it just instantly gets
deleted and I don't worry about it.

We all had to start somewhere and perhaps in EU they have a different
mentality or perhaps it was their first contact with Georgia and/or New
Brunswick, and they want to be sure to get a QSL or in their mind, not make
you (or I) lose a contact.

If it's OBVIOUS cheating, then into file-13 it goes.

As to Super High Power in EU.  Yeah, I am almost next door and sometimes
can't raise stations that are over S9.  I am running 4-squares on most bands
and usually around 700w.

I don't know what we can do about power cheating.  Some of it is so obvious
as to be laughable.

Mike VE9AA

I had a station who I worked during the WPX SSB contest send me an email
during

the contest asking what the number I sent him was. I guess he wasn't sure
when

he worked me.Do you think this is cheating? Personally I think this is

cheating. Maybe I should forward that email to CQ? It really irks me when

people blatantly cheat and think there are no consequences. Also there were
way

too many stations on 40 meters from Europe that were probably cheating by

running some serious power. It's frustrating when you call someone who is
30db

over S9 and they CQ in your face. It's not like I have a crummy antenna on
that

band plus I'm running an amp. Maybe someone in Europe can explain to me what

I'm missing?Jeff KU8E Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB