Re: [CQ-Contest] FT4 - Robotic Contesting

To: "Paolo, IK3QAR" <ik3qar@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] FT4 - Robotic Contesting
From: Sterling Mann <kawfey@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 08:39:52 -0500
Paolo,

Skill is required when contesting with any mode. You still have to deal
with antennas, propagation, amplifiers, the weather, lids, QRM, QRN, and
your own endurance, regardless the mode. At the end of the day, someone
will have made the more contacts than the next person in a set period of
time, and that is all contesting is. FT4 is basically no different than
RTTY contesting with N1MM, which reduces a lot of effort such that more
contacts are made.

The mentality is similar to golf - today's golf clubs and balls are getting
farther and straighter, it's players thinks the game is too easy for
professionals since technology is making the game much easier, thereby
"killing" the game of golf. However, the real issue is the golf courses
haven't changed to adapt to the improvements made elsewhere. In ham radio,
our playing field (and players) also hasn't adapted yet, but mark my words,
FT4 contesting will be as fun and challenging as CW, SSB, RTTY, or whatever
mode contest once such an adaptation is made.

I think radiosport's biggest challenge is persuading traditional contesters
that there is still skill required for faster, automated, and computerized
modes that still lends itself to an adequate competition. You should give
it a try before you denounce it.

--Sterling N0SSC