Re: [CQ-Contest] FT4 - Robotic Contesting

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] FT4 - Robotic Contesting
From: cosson-dimitri <cosson-dimitri@bbox.fr>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2019 14:20:06 +0200
Good summary, fully agree.
73 de Dimitri F4DSK

Envoyé depuis mon smartphone Samsung Galaxy.-------- Message d'origine
--------De : Jeff Blaine <KeepWalking188@ac0c.com> Date : 02/05/2019  06:17
(GMT+01:00) À : cq-contest@contesting.com Objet : Re: [CQ-Contest] FT4 -
Robotic Contesting
The fundamental reason for FTx needing it's own contest format is that
it's a fixed rate which is set by software.  The exchanges are
essentially synchronous and slaved to a common clock.  So if ops can
keep the pipeline full, there is no differentiator among "run" speeds.
All of the current RTTY contests have rate as a fundamental factor so
using that format in a FTx contest makes no sense.  Additionally, as the
rate is machine limited for the most part, if the FTx contest is going
to have staying power it's got to offer some other challenge which op
skill development can address.  High rates in RTTY depend on operator
execution among a sea of variables - in FTx that element is essentially
gone.

A format that rewards for distance seems a better fit - perhaps the Stew
Perry format where points scale with distance and the exchange is grid
square.  A contest built around something like that where the score is
most influenced first by distance and then other factors a weak second
would match well with the strength of these modes.

73/jeff/ac0c
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie
www.ac0c.com