Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL DX Contest Multioperator Station Guidelines

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL DX Contest Multioperator Station Guidelines
From: Michael Ritz <w7vo@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2020 20:05:02 -0700 (PDT)
Let me explain a couple of things. First of all, everything I say on this
reflector is from me, not officially from the ARRL or from the ARRL Programs
and Services Committee members (PSC). I only offer this in the spirit of
transparency, and can only respond to my thoughts about what happened.

Second, there was no attempt on my part to slight the CQ contest rules team in
the attempt to explain what went down on this temporary ARRL rules waiver. I
was trying to bring out a point that I brought up to the group during the
discussion: "CQ didn't make alterations to their rules, therefore why do we
need to?" So, current CQ rules were a consideration, but were deemed by the
committee to be not relevant in this case. I am reminded time after time that
"ARRL contest rules are for their contests, and CQ contest rules are for their
contests. They don't necessarily have to align." (Although I certainly wish
they did...)

Third, as I understand, this did not go to the CAC for two reasons: Number one
was the very tight publishing deadline for getting the temporary change into
QST, considering the major ARRL contest (DX CW) that is coming up fast in
February. Number two: I repeat again that this change is temporary. If this
were to be a permanent rule change I'm sure it would have gone from the PSC to
the CAC as a tasking, and they could have mulled the pros and cons of it for as
long as they needed to. For better or worse, we needed a fast decision to meet
reason #1.

Finally, in my eyes, this was a recommendation that came from the Radiosport
staff at the ARRL itself, and was both written and vetted by them. BTW, those
are the same people that will have to deal with the backlash of the proposal,
and are responsible for figuring out how to adjudicate the contests with the
modified rules. If you have a question regarding implementation, they are your
answer source.

Is this rule waiver perfect? No, and that's been pointed out. If the ARRL
hadn't done anything people would have been lining around the block to complain
about it come contest time. We did something we thought would benefit all
participants of the contests during a troubling time, not only for the USA, but
for the rest of the world too. Still, the torches and pitchforks come out.

Now, ask me if I'll try to explain here anything the PSC does related to
contests again... ;-)

73;
Mike
W7VO