RE: [Karlnet] Karlnet for USB!

To: <karlnet@WISPNotes.com>
Subject: RE: [Karlnet] Karlnet for USB!
From: "Bill Fisher" <fisher@akorn.net>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 10:42:12 -0400
> Man, that is a whole lot of latency....
>
> A question to someone who has not yet deployed TC (but is planning on
> it): is the max link speed of a TC network 5.5mbps instead of 11mbps?  I
> thought that there was just a certain percentage of overhead based upon
> the number of active cell clients.  Not sure what that formula would be,
> but I assumbed that if you could get all clients connected at 11mbps
> that you would have a throughput of 11mbps x (1.0 - xx%) where xx% is
> the polling overhead.
>
> Any input you could provide is useful.

No.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the maximum throughput it a
function of the radio and not the OS (Karlnet in this case).  Maybe I'm
wrong?

No that is not the case on figuring overhead.  I ran for many years on a
single T1 with hundreds of dial-up customers.  Many connected at the same
time.  You would get in to trouble if they all started doing a big FTP
download all at the same time.  But, assuming they did... TC would handle it
MUCH better than standard 802.11 because of super-packet encapsulation and
polling.

Bill