RE: [Karlnet] Karlnet for USB!

To: <karlnet@WISPNotes.com>
Subject: RE: [Karlnet] Karlnet for USB!
From: "Bill Fisher" <fisher@akorn.net>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 11:16:08 -0400
> Still, I am curious what %age of overhead the polling adds.

Polling doesn't add overhead in the TC implementation.

In TC, the more traffic on the network... the faster the network gets for
everyone.  Again, this because of polling combined with super-packets.

Polling eliminates your packet collisions/hidden node problems, as the
management of transmission/reception of signal is moved to the base station.

Most packets on the net are less than 75KB in size.  So while polling other
CPEs, if data is qued up for you at the A/P, the TC A/P doesn't wait to send
them 75KB at a time.  Rather, it bunches them up in a big packet until it is
polled again or until it reaches about 2K in size.  When it does send your
packet, it also acks the previous transmission from another CPE (further
saving time in the polling process).

Also, inactive CPE's are polled less often.  Active CPEs are polled more
often.  So the guy who went to KFC for dinner is polled once a second, while
the guy downloading the latest nudy pictures from his favorite porn site is
getting polled many times more often.

Doug Karl explained this so well at WISPCON.  They should have made a video
of it and put it on the Karlnet web site.  My explanation is much less
effective.  Sorry.

Bill