RE: [Karlnet] Thanks to Zcomax

Subject: RE: [Karlnet] Thanks to Zcomax
From: "Brian H. Oak" <oakb@infosystems1.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 22:19:07 -0600
Wallace,

I put the board (I'm really liking the KarlNet WP+ so far), radio card
(ORiNOCO Silver, internal antennas stripped, as mentioned already),
and amplifier (RF Linx 2400CE) all into an outdoor-mount enclosure
(talk to Tony at Demarc) for mounting right behind the antenna.

I drive the whole thing PoE, soldering power feeds from the WP+ to the
amplifier's normal DC input.  I use a PoE injector inside the
building, with a 12VDC/2.5A or 15VDC/2.0A power supply -- depending on
the length of the Ethernet run.

I use the Lucent-MMCX-MMCX-NFemBulkhead pigtails also provided by RF
Linx.  I could probably save a couple of dBs by soldering the co-ax,
but I have power to spare as it is and prefer to keep everything as
modular as possible.

Our environment is extremely noisy, with several WISPs in the area.  I
have found this combination to be our silver bullet.  It's the best
I've had for getting us above the noise and providing robust, speedy
service.

I can buy ORiNOCO Silvers for <$40/E from Tech Data, YMMV.

-Brian