RE: [Karlnet] Is this interference?

Subject: RE: [Karlnet] Is this interference?
From: "Steve Deaton" <steve@texasbb.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 11:18:20 -0500
We have had similar problems with polling.  We have many commercial
accounts that run citrix, or streaming audio/video, etc...  With polling
enabled, whoever needs the largest bandwidth seemed to get it
(frequently a kazaa user), and everyone else's ping times elevated to
around 700ms.  Ping times like that kill connections that must maintain
a connection across the internet.  I haven't been able to get anyone
else to verify these instances, but I am not sure of anyone else's load
and client base.  Our client base is primarily commercial and the only
way we were able to get things working well was to build FlashROM units.
We build 1.3GHz TurboCell FlashROM units configured with routing and
DHCP and polling DISABLED.  Currently we have 18 of these units active
and serve over 200 clients.  So far we have up to 50 clients on any
single unit, with up to 10 commercial clients on the same unit.  By
commercial I mean over 20 computers using the internet for a mission
critical connection other than email.  Most are doing terminal services,
VPN tunneling, or citrix.  These numbers are not the limit, just what we
have reached.  The FlashROM unit with polling DISABLED has been the
answer to all our prayers.  I really feel that using an AP-1000 is a
waste of time, especially for the price difference.  We were up and
running with AP-1000's for several months before changing to the
FlashROM units, and we experienced all the problems you describe with
the AP-1000.  I am amazed at how many people choose to use something
with a 100MHz (I think) CPU, when you can have a 1.3GHz unit capable of
running three channels.  If anyone is nervous or unsure about building a
unit we can help.  Feel free to contact me directly with questions.  As
far as polling goes, I have NEVER seen any acceptable use for polling.
It is something that might have been cool in the beginning, or if you
have a bunch of clients ONLY checking email.  If you want to compete on
a commercial level, I just cannot see using polling.  I am open to the
idea that we may be wrong, and I welcome input.  I speak only from
experience, so my info is gathered from our network, not hypothetical
situations.  If anyone else has any experience with FlashROM units
please let me know what has/hasn't worked for you.  Thanks.

Steve Deaton
IT Director
Texas Broadband, Inc.
(888)868.3835 ext 85 (office)