RE: [Karlnet] Dual-Slot Sat - Only One Base?

To: <karlnet@WISPNotes.com>
Subject: RE: [Karlnet] Dual-Slot Sat - Only One Base?
From: <martin@belairinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 18:30:16 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Jayson,

I suggest you change your setup so u have 2 cards in the bases, use 1
interface on each to link back to a central base (The 4400 has the ability
to act as a satellite on either interface). This requires you to change
your 4200 to a 4400 and purchase 2 more cards. But it is worth it!

When you use a 4200 as backhaul you are not considering the push/pull
ratio. I assume you are running a WISP (haven?t checked your website). But
I?m sure you have seen a greater download than upload.

In TC-mode the base has the control, it can send when ever it pleases,
this means that the access to media is determined by the base (do a test:
ping a client when connected to the base Ethernet, then do the same test
from the clients Ethernet. If you have just a few customers on the base
you will see the ping from base to client be much lower than from client
to base).

If someone starts a download on one of your base station, the data will
have to travel from your Internet connect to the 4200 here it is buffered
until the base polls it, then it is buffered in the base until the base
polls the client that requested the data. This is a VERY inefficient
setup.

If you instead replace the 4200 with a 4400 and add a card to each of the
remote bases, then the data will travel as follows. Internet connect to
central base were it is send on to the client base stations with virtually
no delay. In the remote base it is send on to the client that requested
the data, again with virtually no delay.

There are other gains to this setup. The TC base has about 3Mbit/s to
share between clients, if you get your backhaul links off the base you
double your possible transfer rate, because the customer serving interface
does not have to waste timeslots getting the data in the first place.
Furthermore you lower your latency a lot.

A couple of things, to keep in mind. Don?t feel tempted to put clients
other than the remote bases on the central base because it WILL NOT assign
more time slots to the remote bases than to any other customer, which
means all customers linked to either remote base would be sharing the same
bandwidth as 1 customer linked directly to the central base.

Also you might consider using TC-nonpolling on the central base to further
lower your latency. The last suggestion depends on the overall load of
your network. You also said you were not over the limit (64 clients) on
the bases, are you anywhere close to this limit? If you are there are a
lot of considerations regarding broadcast traffic to address.

Hopes this helps.

Regards,

Martin Madsen

PS: if you are not in my area (don?t like competition :)), we offer
consulting for a nominal fee. You can call my office @ 818 380 8170 to
discuss further. We have over 1100 customers on TC networks in a varity of
setups.