Re: [Karlnet] Terabeam-Hope and input

Subject: Re: [Karlnet] Terabeam-Hope and input
From: "Norm Young" <lists@applegatebroadband.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:29:55 -0800
Here's a letter I sent today to Mr. Fitzgerald:

Hi Robert,

Appreciate your efforts to communicate with us Karlnet WISPs about the future of Turbocell. I like your approach, but would like to share some thoughts with you.

I've found the KN-50/Wincomm 19dB panel assembly to be a real competitive advantage. If I could deploy a/g Karlnet CPE solutions in that price range ($250-400), it would be an absolute home run. I'm hoping that your new generation of boards (utilizing I'm assuming the Atheros a/b/g radios) can fulfill this role. It would also be nice if these boards supported NAT. It's a pain to have to keep watch on all these customer routers, in that the KN-50 is only a bridge. The other big thing is bandwidth control. Currently, it's symmetrical. Most of my network is residential, who get asymmetrical service, so that means I must have a Mikrotik or StarOS router involved somewhere in the network, preferably as close as possible to the point of use (usually one hop away) to do, if nothing else, bandwidth control. (However the flexibility of that software allows for so much more...)

I have been rolling out some experimental microPOPs using StarOS/WRAP boards using the Atheros a/b/g radios to service small residential markets. The future in my network, now that the superWIPOP's have covered the large markets is smaller markets (often residential), and an approach towards smaller cell sizes in areas already covered to scale up bandwidth to the customer. Because our terrain is complex, these repeaters may be several repeaters in from the superWIPOP, fed at the head-end (currently) by Trango 5.8 PtMP radios, and because of the multihop configuration need to support the routing flexibility offered by StarOS and Mikrotik. If I could do this with Karlnet, I'd be happier in that I don't have to support so many different hardware/software configurations, I don't have to worry about having too many clients per AP for 802.11x, AND most importantly I've got a stable, cost effective, standard CPE.

I would also like to see some more flexibility/innovation in the router side of things, as this is what is attracting me to Mikrotik/StarOS (we have a MT router collocated on our mountain-top SuperWIPOP with Karlnet and Trango PtMP radios, MT 5.8 backhaul, and scattered throughout our network as routers). Perhaps a licensing deal where Karlnet Turbocell protocol could be used with Mikrotik or StarOS? (It would sell one heck of a lot of Karlnet CPEs!) Right now, this is the weakness of the Mikrotik and StarOS approach, not to mention scalability. Their router software, however, with all due respect, absolutely blows Karlnet away. Combine the two, and wow.

Norm

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dzevad Hadzic" <zex@zex.biz>
Sent: Monday, November 29, 2004 1:56 PM
Subject: RE: [Karlnet] Terabeam-WISP list response

Well seems to me that last letter from Robert Fitzgerald CEO terabeam give
us all some hope about future of our favorite products and now some of us
are instead being grateful and patient asking for new features in our
favorit equipment :)

-----Original Message----- From: cj [mailto:cj@cpvegas.com] Sent: Monday, November 29, 2004 9:59 PM To: karlnet@WISPNotes.com Subject: [Karlnet] Terabeam-WISP list response

When is 4.46 gonna be released?  i've heard it promised to be released for
months now.