Re: [Orion] Orion AF gain + Other Quirks + PSK31

To: skip <k3cc@fast.net>
Subject: Re: [Orion] Orion AF gain + Other Quirks + PSK31
From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:16:35 -0500
I have delayed commenting on this topic, but I wanted to add my recent
observations.  Unlike others, I have  had relatively few problems with
my Orion, which was purchased used, but had been sent back to the
factory by the original owner for repairs and upgrades.  However, recent
problems seemed to have arisen after upgrading to firmware version 1.372.

I have just started using the Orion on PSK31 and it generally seems to
work quite well without benefit of an interface.  However, I have on
numerous occasions noticed the AF gain going down for no apparent
reason.  It's quite obvious when this happens on PSK31, because the
amplitude of the audio response in the spectrum display sinks  down and
almost completely out of the bottom of the frequency axis.  Normal AF
gain can be restored by power off/on.  (BTW, my equipment is on 24/7.)

While I never use VOX for SSB, I do use it for T/R when operating
PSK31.  I just went through several days of frustration here adjusting
the VOX for PSK31.  Originally, it had worked flawlessly for about two
weeks without requiring any adjustments.  Then, without any warning, it
started behaving erratically and the response just wouldn't stay put.
I'd make some changes and think I had it set properly, and five minutes
later it was behaving differently.  I did a master reset and that seemed
to restore normalcy, but the VOX settings were now far different from
the original ones.  A day or two later, the VOX started acting up again
but with different symptoms.  It now was very difficult to get it to
actuate at all, but once it did, it wouldn't turn off unless I turned
the VOX function off completely.  Listening to my signal on the monitor
and observing it on my scope, there was about a 1000 Hz oscillation
keeping the VOX on.  After rebooting my computer several times and
restarting my PSK31 and N4PY software without any improvement, I finally
did another master reset.   That seems  to have done the trick and
things have been normal and stable for the past day or two.

When operating PSK31, I generally adjust the audio gain to the point
just below where the ALC LED starts flickering and set the power output
to MAX.  These settings give about 50W out.  On the air IMD reports seem
to be satisfactory: -25 to 30 dB.  However, the audio gain setting to
reach that threshold seems to vary from band to band.  On 40M it runs
about 20, but on 15M it's about 60.

After having gone QRT for about ten days and shutting down the shack, I
had no display visible on the Orion when I fired things back up.  A
master reset was required to bring the display back.  On another
occasion I tried to go on SSB and there was no transmit audio.  Again, a
master reset brought things back to normal.  Both of these problems have
only occurred once each.

I hope others find this info useful.  I'd be interested in hearing about
other, related observations.  I have sent a copy of this message to
ditsnbits for their information.

73, Joe
K2XX