Propagation

[Propagation] 5MHz Night time propagation question

To: "'a Propagation Reflector'" <propagation@contesting.com>
Subject: [Propagation] 5MHz Night time propagation question
From: "David Ackrill" <dave.g0dja@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 07:08:17 -0000
Whilst counting the number of 'steps' of signals heard from the UK 5MHz
beacons I noticed something unusual happening.  Normally the signals drop
down into the noise after about 17:45UTC and don't normally reappear until
08:00UTC the next morning.

However, on Sunday 5th December I was still able to hear them until at least
23:00UTC.  The signals were not very strong, but definitely still audible
here.

I have also noticed that about 05:00UTC one or other of the beacons suddenly
puts in a signal for one or two quarter hour monitoring periods, then drops
back.  I looked at results from G4IRX, who is not far away from me, and he
seems to be recording these occasional bursts at the same time, so I don't
think it’s a burst of noise.

Can anyone suggest what propagation modes are responsible for these unusual
signals?

Thanks - Dave (G0DJA)

---