RFI

Re: [RFI] Today's Wall Street Journal front page article on hams & BPL

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Today's Wall Street Journal front page article on hams & BPL
From: W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@swtexas.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 09:40:01 -0600

Don't get me wrong; I love my hobby, but I would be embarrassed to tell
someone I was "cutting edge".  What part of ham radio were you thinking
of?

There ARE lots of examples of cutting edge technology in ham radio.

For example check out WSJT communications software, which
truly pushes the weak signal capabilities for communications.
http://pulsar.princeton.edu/~joe/K1JT/

Or check out the Software Defined Radio developments at
http://flex-radio.com

Or the Vector Network Analyzer work of by Paul, N2PK
http://users.adelphia.net/~n2pk/VNA/VNAarch.html

Or subscribe to QEX to see some exciting new work every
month.  But, granted, most hams do nothing more than chat--
just don't paint them all that way.

--John W0UN

---