RFI

Re: [RFI] Tv interference

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Tv interference
From: Tim Groat <tcgroat@mesanetworks.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 19:15:27 -0700
No, appliances have an exemption written into Part 15:

"Section 15.103 Exempted devices.
The following devices are subject only to the general conditions of
operation in Sections 15.5 and 15.29 and are exempt from the specific
technical standards and other requirements contained in this Part. The
operator of the exempted device shall be required to stop operating the
device upon a finding by the Commission or its representative that the
device is causing harmful interference. Operation shall not resume until
the condition causing the harmful interference has been corrected. Although
not mandatory, it is strongly recommended that the manufacturer of an
exempted device endeavor to have the device meet the specific technical
standards in this Part.
(d) A digital device utilized exclusively in an appliance, e.g., microwave
oven, dishwasher, clothes dryer, air conditioner (central or window), etc."

So unlike PCs, etc. air conditioners aren't subject to mandatory testing
for compliance to emissions limits for unintentional radiators. When you
tell the manufacturer of consumer products that compliance is "not
mandatory", they tend to hear "We don't need to spend money on this." Thus
we often read about problems with household "white goods" on this list.

Until the FCC is convinced the product causes harmful interference and
issues a cease-and-desist letter, the manufacturers can sell appliances
that are much noisier than other consumer products are allowed to be. One
complaint to the manufacturer and the FCC isn't likely to do much good, but
many complaints from many people might. Do CC: the ARRL on the complaints,
so they can document patterns of particular products being a problem and
push for permanent corrections. That's a long-term proposition; in the
meantime keep begging customer service for effective repairs.

73,
--Tim (KR0U)