RFI

Re: [RFI] Hum in Bose QC2 headphones

To: Rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Hum in Bose QC2 headphones
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@doctorgary.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 09:32:16 -0500
> Are you certain that both ends of the cable are plugged
> in securely? I've heard the symptoms you described when
> the plug on the headphone wasn't fully seated. Please
> let us know what you find.
>
> 73
>
> -Kirk  K4RO

Hi Kirk,

Indeed they are all the way in on both ends & that pesky hum remains.
While assuring they are seated well I tried something, which was to
have the headphones on and the stereo plug unplugged at the distal
end.

When not connected there was no hum but when I touched the bare end
of the plug to the equipment ground the right sided hum showed up.
Nothing surprising here but the same hum showed up regardless of
which terminal was touched to ground be it tip, ring or ground.

Interestingly if I touch the bare connector with my fingers, there is
no hum whatsoever.

The plot sickens

Gary
KA1J