RFI

Re: [RFI] HV Transmission Line

To: k9mk@flash.net
Subject: Re: [RFI] HV Transmission Line
From: Kelly Johnson <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 13:55:25 -0700
I have 112KV (or something like that) lines only about 200 ft from my
antenna.  They're right in the path to EU.  They're dead quiet EXCEPT
when it rains.  The corona noise when it rains is really bad.  In
fact, it pretty much cost me about 2 hours of useful operating time
during last year's November SS CW.  Noise was S9+ until the rain
stopped.  I heard the noise quite loud this morning on my AM BC radio
in my car as I drove under them as well.

Having said that, they're totally quiet except when it rains;
something I can't say about the neighborhood 12KV lines!  I've been
trying to get PG&E to fix a bad pole 2 doors down for years.  It has a
12KV line at the top.

Fortunately, it doesn't rain often here in CA :-)