RFI

Re: [RFI] HV Transmission Line

To: "'RFI Reflector'" <RFI@Contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] HV Transmission Line
From: "K1TTT" <K1TTT@ARRL.NET>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 22:36:02 +0000
On hv lines that have glass or porcelain suspension type insulators with
individual disks ( strings of things that look like these:
http://www.berkshireinsulatorgallery.org/catalog_porc_brown.html).  You can
count the number of disks in a single string and multiply by 20kv to get in
the ballpark.  Then usually round down to the next common voltage used in
your area.  Around here 115kv and 345kv are common, other areas of the
country may have 230kv, 500kv(big!), 765kv(REALLY big!), and some have 69kv,
138kv and a few other voltages.

There are very specific specifications for rfi from hv lines and if you are
getting interference, especially if it is getting worse, you should contact
the company and let them know... they usually will be interested because an
increase in interference usually means something is starting to break down
and its much better to get it before it causes an outage on the line.

Some companies may fool you by putting more insulators in the strings than
are needed for the voltage they are running.  This can happen in areas of
high contamination from ocean spray or industrial pollution.  They can also
do it in advance of a system upgrade so they can increase the voltage by
replacing the transformers without having to replace the insulators also.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net