RFI

Re: [RFI] clamp on ferrites at Mouser

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] clamp on ferrites at Mouser
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 22:51:09 -0700
On 6/16/2014 5:36 PM, Howard Lester wrote:
In general, #31 is better for suppression at the lower frequencies
(offhand, I am thinking approximately 80 - 15 meters); #43 is best for the
higher frequencies and VHF. Perhaps Jim Brown will post more precise
information here as to frequency ranges for each.

I've done that. It's in k9yc.com/RFI-Ham.pdf My work is more definitive than Fair-Rite's, although they did revise their product line and data sheets based on my work. :)

In general, #31 is the better choice below 5 MHz and quite effective up to 200 MHz, #43 is slightly better above about 20 MHz, and the two are equivalent between about 5 MHz and 20 MHz. You can see this by studying the graphs in my pdf. In all cases, for suppression at HF and MF, you MUST wind a suitable number of turns to move the resonance to the range where you need suppression. It's a very low Q resonance (that is, quite broad), typical circuit Q of about 0.4 - 0.5.

At whatever quantity you're buying #43 is perhaps 10% cheaper than #31. But the discounts for buying in quantity are much greater than 10%, so I've always bought #31.

73, Jim K9YC