[RTTY] Tuning Up or Down?

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Tuning Up or Down?
From: mobile.workshop@guernseytelecoms.com (Mobile Workshop)
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 16:13:02 -0000
Hi all, especially Don and Barry..........

I think you have to consider how some of us run RTTY.

In Europe, the "norm" is to use USB on all bands for RTTY, which means that
it is easier to tune UP the band, rather than DOWN.
It's a bit like tuning SSB, in that it is easier to tune UP on bands higher
than 20m, and DOWN on bands lower than that.

Also, it may be pertinent to consider that there is a more natural 'stop'
point on most of the bands at the lower edge. On 20 and 15, there is the PSK
section to sort of limit our downward loop, but the upper ends are almost
limitless (especially during the bigger contests). For me, this means I
start at 14070 (for example), and tune up as far as necessary. If I started
at the higher end, I'd be wondering just where to start off!

Like Don, I often try and pick up the odd mult this way, and I often take
note of the call and guess from that which way to go. For me, Europeans
means I go up, and for the rest of the world, I go down a bit.

And don't forget that many Europeans run low tones, so packet spots need to
be interpreted accordingly.
Imagine the confusion in a spot at - say - 14.085. Now, is that true MARK,
the dial readout, is he using high tones, or low? So, if I see a spot at
14.085, I start there and tune up and down until I find it.
I know there are loads of very good technical reasons for using high tones,
but I simply can't hear them!

Anyway, just my thoughts...................................

73 for now
Phil GU0SUP

and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom
they are addressed. If you have received this email in error
please notify the author immediately and delete it, together
with all copies, from your system.  You are unauthorised to
directly, or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print or copy
any part of this message if you are not its intended recipient.
 Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those of
Guernsey Telecoms.

Information held on any of Guernsey Telecoms' computer
systems is the property of Guernsey Telecoms. Guernsey
Telecoms reserves the right to monitor and review the
content of all information, messages and attachments sent
to or from this e-mail address.