[RTTY] Tuning Up or Down?

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Tuning Up or Down?
From: ekki@plicht.de (Ekki)
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 18:39:46 +0100
> Chen wrote:
> >I found 1 kc up was clear, waited for the QTC to finish, and
> >started calling HK0GU there.  Guess who answered!  If my
> >center of gravity weren't so low, I would have fallen off my chair!
>
> I did the same thing to VP9GE except I went down in
> frequency on 20M. I had already worked him on 10 & 15,
> it was late in the contest and needed multipliers.
> Since he was working a station at 14099 I decided to
> go down in frequency rather than up.
>
> The technique of seeing a station in S&P mode and trying
> to work him is not new, but for me, it raises questions
> I've not been able to find a solid answers for.

Geez, you´re giving away all the secrets of RTTY contesting, hi hi.
I knew i wasn't alone in doing that "fishing" but i didn't know that we all
do it :-).

Usually when S&P I tune up. When i have reached the upper end (whereever
that is) i jump down again and do a second sweep. Band limits depend on the
band. On 10m for example, there is no real lower limit as PSK is on 28.120.
During CQWW there seemed to be no limits at all...

I don't think it's a matter of USB or LSB as Phil pointed out, it's just
what the individual operator prefers. Often I see the "fish" working several
stations on different frequencies, so i know which direction he is going. My
impression is that many use up direction, but that's just a unsubstantiated
feeling.

73,
Ekki, DF4OR