[RTTY] Re: Concept of a new RTTY Contest

To: "RTTY Contest" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Re: Concept of a new RTTY Contest
From: "Phil Cooper" <pcooper@guernsey.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 18:30:02 -0000
Hi all,

Sounds like a novel idea, and I would have a go!
The date sounds OK, although there does seem to be a lot of RTTY contests
these days. I just hope that it will attract enough participation, and
thatthe results are out in "reasonable time", and those that win
certificates are duly awarded them.
Sadly, this does NOT seem to be happening with a lot of contests over the
past year.

For those of us using Writelog, there is the option of using the Stew Perry
Topband Distance Challenge module, but I am not sure how that calculates the
grid square. Is there an easy way to find out?
It may also screw up when you contact someone in your own square, as this
scores as 100km.
That distance of 100km seems a little arbitrary, although I guess that is
the distance of one side of the square.

Although 9 months away sounds like it may be a lot, is it feasible for
contest software writers to generate the necessary modules?
Unless that is forthcoming, and in plenty of time, it is unlikely to attract
enough participation.

Because of that, might it not be better to use the SP TBDC rules? However,
that may still rule out RCKRtty and OH2GI. Of course, it also makes life
difficult for those who still use WF1B.
Of course, there is still the question of generating Cabrillo files, and
that may cause some folk to give it a miss.

SO, having got that out of the way, I have to say that I would prefer a 24
hour contest, but that is purely a personal thing. I also have a small
suspicion that the shorter events tend to attract more "new to RTTY"
contesters, which is all to the good.
Is it wise to have a full 48 hour contest just two weeks before CQWW RTTY?

The fact that there are no multipliers sounds good, and quite interesting,
but I was wondering if that may work against some folk trying to work DX?
For those folk that live in the midst of a large continent, I wonder if they
may end up with many contacts all of a short distance?
I'm not saying they will, but I am sure it is a point worth thinking about.

I guess it all boils down to whether the software writers can (or want to)
provide a module for this contest.

73 to all
Phil GU0SUP