RE: [RTTY] Concept of a new RTTY Contest

To: "Waldemar DK3VN" <dk3vn@nexgo.de>
Subject: RE: [RTTY] Concept of a new RTTY Contest
From: "J. Edward (Ed) Muns" <w0yk@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 10:50:19 -0800
As I noted in a posting to the reflector mid-day yesterday, most current
contest logging software for the Stew Perry TBDC should work for your
proposed RTTY contest.  The score calculated by the Stew Perry method would
need to be multiplied by 500, but that is a simple constant applied to the
score at any time.  Contest sponsors score the Cabrillo log anyway,
regardless of what an entry claims the score is.  So all that matters is
having the logging software give feedback of relative score during the
contest.

I was able to successfully configure WriteLog, starting with the Stew Perry
TBDC, to log 5 bands (80 through 10) on FSK mode instead of the current 160
meter CW only.  Thus, the scoring is a QSO point for every 500Km of distance
between your Grid Square (entered in Parameter Settings) and the station
worked.  Since Grid Square is part of the exchange, the Cabrillo log will
have that for every contact and the contest sponsor can calculate a score,
based on distance, in any way they want.  If you want points to be
kilometers, then the score indicated in WriteLog at any time is simply
multiplied by 500.  If you want other adjustments, as in the TBDC, for low
power vs. high power or QRP, then that can be factored into the contest
sponsor's scoring algorithm.  For reporting claimed scores all we
participants have to do is multiply our logging software score by 500 and
any other factors for power, or whatever, according to the rules.

Although much of the reflector discussion of your proposal has centered
around logging software, that is not a problem.  The real issue is finding a
contest sponsor and a feasible date.

73,
Ed - W0YK