Re: [RTTY] MMTTY VS PK-232

To: "RTTY" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] MMTTY VS PK-232
From: "Tom Osborne" <w7why@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 18:23:40 -0700
From: Joe K0BX

> This has been a very good topic.  I must say that MMTTY copies
>better  than my PK-232MBX but the '232' served me well for many
>years.

One of the best TU's that was ever conceived was the Hal ST-6.  I
first built the ST-5 and then the ST-6, and it would copy stations
that you could just barely hear.  One really neat thing with it was
that it didn't print unless there were mark/space tones at the input.
If there wasn't, it just sat there quietly.  The 88mh torroids on the
input really made it copy nothing but the station you had tuned in.
They tried to improve it with the ST-6000, but I think that was a step
backwards.  It had an output for a computer, but I didn't have one at
the time so dodn't try it..
The DT-600 was also another great TU.  I bult one of those and really
liked it.  It was like an ST-6 with the AFSK unit all on the same
board.
The biggest problem with all the new stuff is that when there is no
signal, you get all sorts of garbage on the screen.  Not so bad now,
but when you had to buy paper, that was really a bummer.
Tom W7WHY