Instant Messenger programs (was [RTTY] RTTY on 160M)

To: "'RTTY'" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Instant Messenger programs (was [RTTY] RTTY on 160M)
From: "Jim McDonald" <jim@n7us.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 20:39:04 -0700
Seeing the note below made me think of something.

Reading the email eulogies of recently deceased DXers I noticed several made
mention of staying in touch with an Instant Messenger program.  The only
requirement is using the same program (e.g., AOL's or Microsoft's).  Not
everyone is on the cluster system, and many cluster nodes turn off
announcements so it's not very effective to ask a question like that below.

All it would take is for someone to suggest one program and have
participants use their calls as the "sign-in name."

The programs can be downloaded from:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d83d02b2-c82c-4ba1-aec2-584aabb057eb&DisplayLang=en

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/messenger/

http://www.aim.com/

I won't be surprised if some say this doesn't sound like ham radio, but my
response is it's just another use of the internet to increase our enjoyment
of ham radio.

I don't care if anyone wants to do this or not; it is just a thought.

Jim N7US