Re: [RTTY] RTTY Growth

To: RTTY Reflector <RTTY@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY Growth
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 19:06:35 -0800
On Feb 13, 2005, at 6:09 PM, Jerry Flanders wrote:
IIRC, we were not allowed to use FSK until just a few years prior. RTTY didn't work well with on-off mark keying only.

What a segway... :-)

Early Saturday evening, I was tuning around 40m and found an RTTY signal that I could not print at all because there was an equally loud CW signal right on top of him. A closer look on the crossed ellipse shows the CW to be right smack on top of the space tone.

So, I switched my demodulator from mark/space detection to mark-only detection.

6G1KK printed right through the QRM once the space tone was ignored.

As Jerry mentioned, OOK is normally not as good as FSK, but there are still occasions when that extra detector mode comes in useful.

73
Chen, W7AY