Re: [RTTY] RTTY Growth

To: "RTTY" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY Growth
From: "Tom Osborne" <w7why@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 20:15:05 -0800

From: "Jerry Flanders

If we had FSK in the '50's I guess I am completely wrong about the early guys using On-Off Keying with the mark tone. Don't know what I was thinking about.

Jerry W4UK

Hi Jerry

We just built a circuit to shift the frequency of the VFO by 850 cycles. It was hard to use a single circuit that would cover all the bands because when you went from 80 to 40, you doubled the 80 meter vfo frequency to get to 40 and that would also double the shift, so it had to be tuned for every band. Man, that was a LONG time ago. When some of the early rigs started coming out with the fixed vfo frequencies, it got a lot easier, then we went to AFSK when sideband came along. Ah, the good olde days :-) 73
Tom W7WHY