[RTTY] Suggestion for upcoming RTTY Roundup

To: "RTTY Reflector" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Suggestion for upcoming RTTY Roundup
From: "Shelby Summerville" <k4ww@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 07:58:46 -0500
Dick Thompson wrote: "I would like to put forth a suggestion to those who
are entering the ARRL RTTY Contest, especially the newer people.

The report that you send is a signal report & State or Province or
Country (S/P/C).  Please don't send 599 Mich if you are in Michigan.
Send 599 MI.  There is no need to spell out your state/province.  Just
use the standard 2 letter abbreviation.  I don't even know why a 599
needs to be sent.  Everybody knows they will get a 599 even if they have
to repeat the exchange a dozen time.  Hi Hi.  It would be nice if the
managers of a contest would do away with signal reports completely,
since nobody ever gives anything other than 59(9).  Hi Hi.

Good luck in the contest, guys.  Hope to see you there."

----------------------------------

Dick, great suggestion, unfortunately you're "preaching to the choir"! Most,
if not all, subscribers to this reflector, are well acquainted with RTTY
contesting protocol? My suggestion, and I do this: keep a record, during the
contest, of those that you may deem "not doing it correctly"! Post contest,
send those stations, a private email, gently advising them of the "correct"
way? Most, if not all, that you send an email, will welcome the advice,
especially if it's written in a way, to encourage them, certainly not
discourage them?
I also keep a record of stations "never worked before on RTTY", and send
them a "welcome to RTTY contesting" email. Included in that email are the
URL's that will give them the necessary information, to continue to
participate in future RTTY contests.

Happy New Year to y'all

C'Ya, Shelby - K4WW