Re: [RTTY] (no subject)

To: <dezrat@copper.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] (no subject)
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 13:57:47 -0400
Bill writes:

> Joe, let's cut to the chase.
>
> What is your real motivation for opposing an SO1R class? You have
> given us all kinds of excuses, but all of them are easily overcome.
>
> Do you have a hidden agenda we are not aware of? Could it be
> financial?

My current "antenna farm" consists of a multiband vertical for
20/17/15/12/10 and a trap dipole for 80/40/30 at 30' ... that
is fairly common, perhaps even advanced, for someone in a HOA
or antenna restricted community.  I have done reasonably well
in the last couple ARRL 10 Meter contests by using a variant
of the SO2R technique (the second receiver in my Mark V) to make
up part of that antenna disadvantage.

I find it possible to monitor two pile-ups or do "dual S&P"
in some of the other contests using the same techniques - again
it helps overcome some of the antenna disadvantages.

Why should you be allowed an A3 at 50' in the "basic" category but
my second receiver makes me "unlimited?"  Both better antennas and
a second receiver or second transceiver are simply another tool to
optimize both my score and my enjoyment of the contest ... yet you
would discriminate against MY tool because of nothing more than
simple bigotry but YOUR tool of choice is absolutely fine.

Again, if you want to define "BASIC" and "UNLIMITED" classes,
define the basic class to eliminate ALL the tools.  Make it
attractive to the beginners and those who are HOA/antenna limited
... those who must use hidden end-fed wires, attic dipoles, their
flagpole, or the antenna on their car.  As soon as you allow one
set of station improvements, you are creating a situation that
is just as unfair to that group as you clam the current situation
is to you.

Nothing prevents you from doing SO2R ... you choose not to (for
whatever good reason).  However, those who are prevented from
installing better antennas often have no choice in the matter.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV