[RTTY] SO1R vs SO2R

To: <RTTY@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] SO1R vs SO2R
From: "Shelby Summerville" <k4ww@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 15:47:55 -0400
Ron Stailey wrote: "you can do it if you want to bad enough.. It's NOT that
hard."

I can't disagree with ya, however....the key portion of this statement, for
me: "if you want to"!!  Personally, I don't want to! I don't care who does,
I don't care who doesn't.
My position on this, as NAQP RTTY contest manager, is to do all possible to
improve participation in the contest, and attract new participants! I'm
convinced that a major percentage of the current participants are in favor
of a separate class for SO1R operators, and with that in mind, I plan on
lobbying for a rule change. As far as finding "loopholes"...once upon a
time, when there were only paper submissions, a statement at the bottom of
the summary required your signature. Included in that statement was "I have
operated my station within the spirit and intent of the rules"! Who knows
what the "spirit and intent" of the contest founders was? Electronic
submission has made that statement moot?
Bottom Line....I plan on doing everything possible to have a SO1R category,
without restricting SOMR,  added to NAQP RTTY rules, beginning in 2007!

Shelby Summerville, K4WW
Contest Manager
NAQP RTTY