Re: [RTTY] Not to beat the ANTENNA OVERKILL horse...

To: "'Carter, K8VT'" <k8vt@ameritech.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Not to beat the ANTENNA OVERKILL horse...
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 14:07:47 -0400
Carter writes:

> > That same top contester also says he started doing SO2R to
> > overcome antenna disadvantages.
>
> Which is a roundabout way of admitting that there *IS* an
> advantage for SO2R.

I'm not arguing that.

> However, most of us seem to agree that there is an advantage to:
>
> -single vs. multiple ops
>
> -high power vs. low power
>
> -SO1R vs. SO2R
>
> ...and  we seem to want to have separate categories for *some* of
> these advantages and yet turn a blind eye towards other advantages.
> Which brings us back to...

The first two are obvious significant advantages and have been for
50 years of contesting.  The High vs. Low power advantage was
perhaps 100% in the early days.  However, SO2R will certainly not
double the score of a good operator with an effective SO1R station.

what you fail to comprehend (or acknowledge) is that there are other
tools ... better antennas, no-tune radios, improved receivers,
computer logging, that can also improve a single operator's score
by 10, 15 or 20%.  Why should each of those incremental improvements
be permitted but only the second receiver or second transceiver be
prohibited?  Frankly, it is only because you don't like the idea of
competing with a SO2R equipped station.

If I, or AA5AU, or anyone else cannot use one set of tools (e.g.,
better antennas), we should be absolutely free to use another tool
(e.g., SO2R) to make up the difference.  To define a BASIC or
LIMITED class that permits a stack of three element monoband
yagis at any height (Bill's proposal) but prohibits SO2R is
nothing more than discrimination against SO2R.  It is no different
that saying "I don't like that kind of person so I won't let them
move into my neighborhood."

Is there a place for BASIC and UNLIMITED classes?  If you want
"LIMITED" and "UNLIMITED" classes be consistent - don't use the
limits to create an advantage for yourself.

> > Sure, if you want "basic" and "unlimited" classes, make the basic
> > class truly basic ...
>
> So, it looks like we ultimately agree!  :-)
>
> By having just these two classes, we make the problem of smaller
> and smaller entry pools go away, we give the little guy a chance
> to compete on a (more or less) equal footing with other little
> pistols and we may even induce more people to get into (or return
> to) contesting!

We agree only to the extent that the "BASIC" class is truly basic
and fair to all - including the HOA/antenna restricted types.  Once
you start allowing one set of advantages you cannot discriminate.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV