Re: [RTTY] Improving receiving performance

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Improving receiving performance
From: "Don Hill AA5AU" <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 18:15:55 -0600
#1 - I usually adjust my RF gain to show between +5 to +20 and sometimes higher
on 80 meters when signals are strong.

#2 - I use the default settings in MMTTY (Standard profile) most of the time
and occasionally use the flutter profile on fluttery
signals.  With KK5OQ, I sometimes have to use the ground wave profile.

#3 - I use JPS NIR-12 DSP filters on both radios.  They may not be needed for
RTTY anymore with radios deploying DSP, but it
definitely helps on the ears. All the radios I've used seem to have a small
amount of low level static that would not affect RTTY
print but is annoying in the ears for hours at a time.  They also allow me to
adjust the volume of audio going to the headset
without changing the level of the audio going to the sound card because I take
my audio from the radios' PHONES jack and not the
fixed audio from the ACC jack.

I leave the DSP turned off on the NIR filters in most cases.

I understand that Ed, W0YK uses NIR-12 units at P49X as well.

I do agree that they are probably not needed and do not necessarily improve
RTTY receive.

73, Don AA5AU