Re: [RTTY] Blacklisting over zealous callers

To: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Blacklisting over zealous callers
From: Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 07:29:15 -0700 (PDT)
--- Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net> wrote:

> That's my point. Before 5BDXCC and the explosion of other awards, I
> don't remember the ravenous behavior of the award-obsessed chasers.

I'm not sure I agree with this Bill.  I believe packet is the single biggest
problem. Don't get me wrong, I *love* packet.  But it gets EVERYONE into the
same pileup almost simultaneously. QSX spots tell you where to call, even if
you can't hear the DX.  Spots from guys near you make you *think* you have a
chance, even if you don't.

The second problem is societal.  Many believe they are ENTITLED to something
even if they don't want to learn or work hard to get it.  Witness recent trends
in grade compression in schools (many fewer Fs, Ds and Cs given out), getting
into the "right" pre-school, helicopter parents, etc.  Look at what the
"leaders" at Enron, Adelphia, Tyco, etc. did.  I don't see this trend changing
any time soon.

80, 40 and 10m DXCC awards have been around a LONG time.  I don't believe they
caused the ruination of DX on those bands.

Finally, it's easier nowadays to be multi-band capable.  We don't build our
rigs, we don't build our antennas, we hire people to put our towers up.  All we
have to do is point, click, and be instant QRM.

73 - Jim AD1C

USA +978-251-9933, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us