Re: [RTTY] Macros in the JARTS

To: Claude Du Berger <duberger.miousse81@globetrotter.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Macros in the JARTS
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 11:47:26 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 13:20:31 -0400, Claude Du Berger
<duberger.miousse81@globetrotter.net> wrote:

>It's about time a macro PRO do something to let every body know
>how to make simple, short macros.

------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------

I'll take the bait. Macros are one of my favorite things to play with.
I've been tweaking contest macros for over ten years. Here are my
recommendations, with an explanation beneath each one:

For my CQ macro:
CQ JARTS W6WRT W6WRT CQ
Notice the CQ at the end. This is so a station tuning me in midway in
my CQ can tell I am calling CQ and not calling another station. Also
note there is no "DE"". It is not necessary. Is there any question who
is calling CQ?

For my exchange macro:
K6XX 599 64 64 KA6XX
My call is not included because he already has it. His call is
included so he knows I have it, and it is there twice so he can be
sure. I put it once at the beginning and once at the end because the
beginning often gets QRM'ed the most and when it is at the end, he and
everyone else is most likely to see it. I always send the exchange
twice to clarify any possible mis-print if sent only once. He either
gets it right both times or if they are different, he will ask for a
repeat. If you want to send it three times, that's ok too. The RST is
included only if the contest rules require it. Some contests do not,
so read the rules and if it is not required, don't send it. And
expecially don't send it twice!!

Hyphens and other macro malfeasances:
Some stations put hyphens in their exchanges in the belief that it
accomplishes something good. Example: W6WRT 599-60-60-60 W6WRT. The
problem is that hyphens defeat the USOS (Unshift on Space) function
which is built in to nearly all software. The reason USOS is important
is a bit long to go into here, so please just trust me and don't use
them. Likewise for periods, slant bars or any other punctuation marks.
Please do it just like my example, with spaces only.

When asked for a repeat:
64 64 64 64 64 64
I send the exchange six times. I do not send his call, my call or
anything else. He already has all that stuff. he only needs the
exchange. If signals are really weak or QRM'ed, send it twice or three
times.

My thank you message:
K6XX TU W6WRT CQ
Notice I do not end it with "QRZ?" since that is incorrect and has two
extra characters besides. QRZ? is appropriate when someone is calling
you and you need a repeat, but in this case, nobody has called you
yet. CQ is the correct thing to send. As always, there is no "DE".

My S&P call:
W6WRT W6WRT W6WRT
I only send my call, not his. He knows his call. No "DE". He knows who
the call is from.

My S&P exchange:
K6XX QSL 599 64 64
I do not send my call because he already has it since he just called
me. If he calls me but has my call wrong, I DO NOT SEND THE EXCHANGE
UNTIL HE HAS MY CALL RIGHT. Sorry to shout, but that is one of the
biggest errors you can make. One more time: DO NOT SEND THE EXCHANGE
UNTIL HE HAS YOUR CALL RIGHT. Otherwise, he may never get your call
right. He will just copy the exchange and go on to the next station
while you futilely call and call trying to make the correction.

Use of BK, K, KN, etc, etc.
Don't use any of these. They are useful in CW but not in RTTY, and
especially not in a contest. When the carrier drops, it is his turn.
He does not need to hear "K" to know when to transmit.

And I could go on and on. In fact, I did. My article "The Educated
Macro" appeared in QST for September 2005. Serious students of
macrology should give it a read.

Comments welcome.

73, Bill W6WRT