Re: [RTTY] Cheating

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Cheating
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 17:17:32 -0700
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 16:47:00 -0400, "Joe Subich, W4TV"
<lists@subich.com> wrote:

>Like you I'm tired of the semi-annual attack on SO2R operators and
>those who use every alleged instance of cheating as a pretense to
>attack SO2R.

Say what? This is the first time I have ever seen SO2R linked with
cheating. Personally, I don't think the link is valid, but please Joe,
don't bring spurious statements into the discussion.

> Nowhere else in amateur
>radio do we separate operators by skill levels, antenna size,
>transceiver sensitivity, number of receivers, or any number
>of other parameters.

Nowhere else? Did you forget about separation by power class or number
of operators? And of course, BARTG has separate classes for skill
levels based on past scores. Joe, if you ever actually operated RTTY
contests you would know this already. Check your logs folks - how many
W4TV contest QSOs do you find? Mine has zero in 17 years of RTTY
contesting. Let's keep the discussion limited to folks who actually
OPERATE RTTY contests and ignore those who only sell commercial
products designed to enhance SO2R. Joe, why not tell the folks what
products you are the distributor for?

According to the poll taken by AA5AU a year or so ago, by a ratio of
about two to one, those voting would prefer separate classes for one
radio and two radio ops. The issue among contesters themselves  has
already been decided, now it's up to the contest sponsors to take
action.

73, Bill W6WRT