Re: [RTTY] RST in contests

To: <ed@w0yk.com>, <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RST in contests
From: "John GW4SKA" <ska@bartg.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 21:13:24 -0000
Sound advice from Ed.

You may know that the BARTG Sprint does not have RST in the exchange but the
BARTG HF RTTY has RST. The reason for this is simple; the Sprint is a newer
contest and the rules could be written sensibly (no RST). The original HF
RTTY predates computer logging, which means that every one of the logging
programs has been written to include RST in the exchange.

If the rules changed, the log format would have to change and it would cause
chaos!

So send the full exchange as written in the rules and don't worry about the
few who get it wrong. Any of the top stations who cut this down to save time
would be quickly spotted ... winners don't need to mess around like that,
they are just better than the rest of us!

Cheers,

John GW4SKA