Re: [RTTY] Digital DXCC or ARRL Board of Directors, respectfully: have m

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Digital DXCC or ARRL Board of Directors, respectfully: have my strong disagreement
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2011 09:39:20 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Thu, 4 Aug 2011 06:51:15 -0700, WS7I <ws7ik7tj@gmail.com> wrote:

>So yes a DXCC on AM would be as special as one on PSK31, but neither are now
>available. Seems a lot of fuss about nothing,

REPLY:

With all due respect Jay, I have to disagree. The ARRL should be encouraging the
pursuit of many different kinds of awards, not discouraging it. Most of us are
in the hobby for fun as well as a challenge, so why not recognize the many
different band and mode accomplishments possible? If someone wants to pursue a 2
meter EME RTTY award, why not recognize them if they actually do it?

As a young ham back in the '50s I still remember the excitement in the ham world
when W6NLZ worked KH6UK on 2 meters (California to Hawaii), an accomplishment
that practically everyone said was impossible. They rewrote the books with that
one. I also remember the first DXCC on 6 meters a few years ago. Those kinds of
pursuits are to me the heart and soul of Amateur Radio. The ARRL should be
actively encouraging similar pursuits as much as possible. There are many, many
"firsts" yet to be done.

73, Bill W6WRT