Re: [RTTY] Digital DXCC or ARRL Board of Directors, respectfully: have m

To: Michael Haack <mikehaack@aol.com>, "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>, "rtty@contesting.com" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Digital DXCC or ARRL Board of Directors, respectfully: have my strong disagreement
From: Al Kozakiewicz <akozak@hourglass.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 14:56:01 -0400
>And if the RTTY DXCC award has already accepted "all digital modes...for
>more the 25 years"
>Why is there an obviously overwhelming reason to fix it now.??

To make the name of the award match what the award is for?  Perhaps it was long
past time to stop calling a tail a leg?

>Again, If the intention was at all to foster use of the the new modes,
>wouldn't a "Digital" DXCC Award give all of us something else to chase.
>I still have space on my wall, right next to my RTTY DXCC.

The intention, as noted by ARRL board members, was to make the name of the
award match the criteria long established for the award.

To be deliberately provacative, there is zero degree of difference in skill
required to operate any of the asynchronous serial modes.  It's not as if RTTY
is like CW, while PSK is like phone in terms of the skills required.
Characters get entered on my keyboard then spill out on your screen, and vice
versa.  If you use FSK, the radio modulation setup is brainless. Not so with
the analog modulated modes or AFSK. One could make an argument that it is
somewhat easier to attain DXCC with RTTY as you can run legal limit power and
the character rate is faster.

I understand and respect the argument (while probably not agreeing) that
various digital modes deserve their own award category.  But getting worked up
over the changing the name of an existing award to better describe what it's
for seems pointless.

Al
AB2ZY