Re: [RTTY] Macros again

To: john@kk9a.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Macros again
From: Mike <k4gmh@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 21:42:33 -0500
Let me jump in with a comment or two.

My Run TU macro (WL), F3, is "CR, His Call, TU, CR, K4GMH, CQ, End".  With
this macro, I can cut short the macro, Esc, after the "TU" when others have
called and I didn't get a another call after my CQ.  Stopping the TU before
the end helps in working a pile-up as only a one or two guys will recognize
what happened and drop in their call.

When someone comes back to my CQ with his call and exchange, I answer with
my S&P macro, F7,  "CR His Call, TU, RST, NR, NR, log, End".  The QSO is
automatically logged as part of the S&P macro.  If the other station again
sends the exchange which most do, then I respond with my TU macro, "CR, TU,
His call (but there isn't any call as the contact has already been logged),
CR, K4GMH, CQ, End".

Should he come back instead with a TU K4GMH, CQ, CQ, His call, etc. then as
soon as I see his CQ, my F1 key is pressed a couple of times.

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 7:50 PM, <john@kk9a.com> wrote:

> I try to also operate efficiently using the same format as Ed,  except I
> omit the ending CQ on SSB and CW (as I am sure he does) and in heavy rate
> situations I also omit the TU.   I can't control what other people send and
> I am happy that they are working me, however, I have noticed something on
> RTTY that I haven't seen on any other mode.  Stations occasionally send a
> callsign <his call> that is totally different than mine when working me.
> Sometimes it is the call sign of the last station that I worked and
> sometimes it is some other random callsign, perhaps the last person that
> they worked  My guess is they have not entered my callsign yet in into
> their
> logging software and they just get confused who is running on the
> frequency.
> I know that they are working me and not working someone else on my
> frequency.  I do send CQ after my callsign on RTTY so I don't understand
> the
> confusion or know how to handle it.  Usually I work them and hope that they
> straighten out their log afterwards.  I'm not sure how the log checking
> process handles this if they enter the callsign of my previous contact
> instead of mine.  One problem with having <his call> in a macro is that you
> need the call before you can work him.  I sometimes work stations before
> knowing or entering their full callsign.
>
> John KK9A / P40A
>

> To: <rtty@contesting.com>
> Subject: Re: [RTTY] Macros again
> From: "Ed Muns" <ed@w0yk.com>
> Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 08:29:22 -0800
>
> The other station's call sign has already been sent with your exchange.  I
> seldom send the other station's call sign again in my QSL message.  I
> typically send the same thing that I, and most everyone, sends on CW or
> SSB:
>
> TU W0YK CQ
>
> If I sense there might be confusion, then I pre-pend this message with the
> <his call> message, but this is very rare.  Sure, there is always
> possibility for confusion, but my error rate and dupe rate clearly indicate
> that it is unnecessary to send the other station's call sign in every QSL
> message.
>
> Ed - W0YK

   Mike, K4GMH