Re: [RTTY] I had a reply in the contest from a fellow using cw for rtty

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] I had a reply in the contest from a fellow using cw for rtty
From: Arliss <w7xu@iw.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 22:47:10 -0600
Yes, I remember that. That was back in the days when I had a Model 15, a CV-89A TU and the Drake B Twins.

Besides IDing on RTTY, you were required (on HF) to ID with telegraphy. You could use CW or FSK telegraphy. The simplest way to comply was to generate CW by keying your mark signal, but that would usually produce garbage print on the receiving end. To avoid that, lots of us used narrow shift (20 Hz or so) FSK for IDing.

73,  Arliss  W7XU