Re: [RTTY] Point-and-click vs typing

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Point-and-click vs typing
From: "Ed Muns" <ed@w0yk.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2014 20:47:40 -0700
Multiplicity and other KVM switches are inadequate for one-PC/radio
contesting.  The context switching overhead kills the ability to run
multiple radios effectively, efficiently and fast in high-rate contesting.
Yes, KVMs "work", but that's not nearly good enough for this application.

In SO2R RTTY contesting, for example, I have one hand on the keyboard
associated with each radio.  I can time and synchronize runs on each radio
with a single key press.  There is no time available to also be doing
context switching for every key press, to move the UI from one PC to
another.  That effectively doubles the amount of key presses or actions
needed to accomplish the same results.  It is an unnecessary additional
action that has to be made thousands of times during a weekend's contest.
Furthermore, it is far too easy to inadvertently wind up on the wrong PC.
With distinct, separate keyboards/trackballs/LCDs, that seldom, if ever,
happens.

If I wanted to run SO2R from a single UI (keyboard/mouse/monitor), I'd
simply use the native SO2R capability built into the contest logging
software.

KVM make sense when the amount of typing or key presses on each PC is far
greater than the key presses, or other action, to switch between PCs.  That
is not the case in radio sport.

Ed W0YK

Michael N1EN wrote:

If you're using one-computer-per-radio and are using Windows, take a look at
Multiplicity (http://edgerunner.com/multiplicity)

Multiplicity is a virtual KVM switch.  You run it on two or more computers,
and it allows you to take mouse and keyboard input from one computer to
drive multiple computers connected via IP.  Properly set up, the effect is
similar to having multiple monitors on your desk.

I've been using it for years.  It isn't necessarily intuitive to set up, and
I have had an occasional glitch, but it beats having multiple keyboards and
multiple mice/trackballs if you have to use multiple computers.

Warning: if using it for with shack computers that will be doing digital
modes, I recommend disabling audio-sharing between computers in
Multiplicity.

There is (was?) also a free, multi-platform program called Synergy that
claims to do much the same thing.  I tried it several years ago; at that
time it had issues, but if it's still around and actively maintained, I
suspect it has improved.