Re: [RTTY] RU macros - my views

To: "rtty@contesting.com" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RU macros - my views
From: Al Kozakiewicz <akozak@hourglass.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 18:35:32 +0000
You forgot "5NN".  And, from experienced operators who should know better, no
repeat of the key part of the exchange, especially on 80 and 40 meters where
the error rate from noise is very high on signals that would be a cakewalk to
decode on 10M.

Still, the thing I would most like to impress on others is that when I am
running, MY CALL has no place in any of the tranmissions from a responding
station.  EVER!  I know my call!  I had several people respond with:

AB2ZY AB2ZY DE LM1NOP LM1NOP LM1NOP

During a pileup, this usually decodes to something like:

AB2ZY SDBN^THHWPRMBTY4S2KIQLPAZXNOP

If they had just sent their own call, thay would have busted the pileup.
Instead, no one did.  At least I've learned not to be quick to ask for a repeat
in these cases.  Patience, and someone will breal silence and call again,
usually in the clear.

Also, a number of dupes from people I suspect thought they had worked someone I
was working during a run.  No problem, just log them again and move on.

Not really complaining here - had a lot of fun!

Al
AB2ZY