Re: [RTTY] BARTG HF Contest 2015 Preliminary Results

To: Simone Wilson <m0box@btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] BARTG HF Contest 2015 Preliminary Results
From: Phil Sussman <psussman@pactor.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 15:52:42 -0400
Thanks for the exchange..

But,

?You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can?t please all of the people all of the time.?

&#8213; John Lydgate (1370-1451 a British monk and poet)(History of Suffolk, no less)

"You can fool some of the people all of the time; you can fool all of the people some of the time, but you can never fool all of the people all of the time."

- Attributed to Abraham Lincoln and PT Barnum

(Aesop had a fable called The Farmer, His Son and their Ass. The moral was,
"He who tries to please everyone pleases no one, and usually loses his ass
in the bargain.")

Ah, computers do offer some advantages. After all everything on the internet
is true, isn't it? Have courage, Simone.

73 de Phil - N8ps

Quoting Simone Wilson <m0box@btinternet.com>:

Phil is generating a nice conversation that encompasses several key aspects
of contesting in general, not just RTTY.

He raised the following points:-

1. You can't participate in a contest unless you own a computer.

As a general rule this is quite correct. Regardless of mode the speed of
operation makes this a valuable tool especially for cross checking when S&P.
It isn't essential however but it makes the experience of contesting a much
higher stress environment for the entrant.

2. (a)You can't participate in a contest unless you own logging software
(b)You can't participate in a contest unless you send a formatted log.

I don't accept this is the case (a), and if you do own a computer or even
borrow one you can use a free spreadsheet programme to type in your log and
format it correctly.

3. You can't participate in a contest unless you submit your log to a web
site.

In general this is true. This is to encourage submissions through a filter
process that highlights potential areas of concern with submitted logs and
give the entrant the chance to resolve these issues. After all a log
submitted without one of the exchange fields present is one that will score
zero, and causes me the adjudicator more work than if it were simply not
there.

4. You can't participate in a contest unless others send logs with your call
in it.

This is not true for any RSGB or BARTG contest. The adjudication software
fabricates the missing logs.

5. You can't participate in a contest unless your log is computer scanned.

The sheer volume of participants in the various contests precludes manual
adjudication methods of last century. Adjudicators simply do not have the
time to perform the necessary work.

6. You can't participate in a contest unless your log is computer accepted.

Not true in my case, as I will accept logs not submitted via our "filter",
but the reasons for asking me to do this better be good.

Whilst the shift from the old days methods seem to be a retrograde step, on
the other hand the ability to provide the entrant with feedback (UBNs) to a
level never before possible is very impressive indeed. Have a quick look at
the preliminary results and you will see a QSO analysis for the test showing
you which bands were carrying QSOs and when, basic propogation data if you
will. This will help you plan your campaign for the next test.

A final thought.

The first president of the USA said "You can please some of the people all
of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you
can't please all of the people all of the time" How right he was.

73 de Simone. M0BOX
BARTG Contest Manageress