Re: [RTTY] BARTG HF Contest 2015 Preliminary Results

To: Michael Therrien <mike.n1md@gmail.com>, pcooper <pcooper@guernsey.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] BARTG HF Contest 2015 Preliminary Results
From: SIMONE WILSON <m0box@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2015 13:43:02 +0100
This is a contentious issue, I never expected it to be otherwise. It is a
problem that didn't exist in the older manual days, but with the advent of
computers doing the job it has shown up issues.

I have been given proof positive of the issue. Let me sumaraise. Station A is
the CQer and station B is the responder. A sends his exchange G9AA ur 599 123
1234 KN so far so good, B sends G9BB ur 599 206 1235. Still good as long as
each station puts the final time element they TX in their log. However A's log
submitted to me shows he sent 599 123 1235.

It has long been the assumption that the sending log is the correct one so I
should, and the automatic adjudication does, invalidate B's logged QSO, Given
we can, and do, log the text window to a file when contesting - just in case -
you can clearly see that B received 1234 from A, yet A logs 1235. Go figure.
Now I know that N1MM+ has a specific macro called TIME2 which grabs the time to
TX and doesn't let it alter until the QSO completes or is abandoned. But if
this particular macro isn't selected by the operator then the time becomes
subject to real time, thus the error occurs. Is this the case for other RTTY
contesting software? Not all submitted logs contain the imformation to see
which programme was used to generate the log, so I can't point any finger on
the issue, however it is clear that incorrect macro selection will cause an
issue.

So the question then raises how to adjudicate this problem, and believe me when
I say it is a significant problem. I have three choices:-
1. Believe the logs reflect what was transmitted and adjudicate accordingly.
2. Allow some flexibility to cope with this error.
3. DQ both sides of the contact due to an error on one side because one side
did make a mistake.

If I select 1, then there will be howls of protest from those whose contacts
are incorrectly DQd with reams of evidence to prove their point. If I select 3,
there will be howls of protest from those whose QSO was otherwise correct.
Selecting 2 seems to me to be the logical option (generating far less howls of
protest that either 1 or 3) following it up with a review on the whole contest
exchange for future tests.

Option 2 is the one I am going to take. Ultimately, as the Contest Manageress,
it is my decision to make. It will provide the best and fairest solution. I
will then conduct a review with the BARTG committee with a view to drop the
variable element of the exchange and replace it with something that will
challenge you, but not be reliant on the vagaries of time. Something that all
current popular contesting software already handles. In the words of Baldrick,
I have a cunning plan.

73

Simone - M0BOX
BARTG Contest Manageress